English Business Survey consultation response
Thank you for taking part in the English Business Survey consultation. Please see summary of BIS's response to the consulations below. A Link to the full report can be found at:
The consultation received a total of 20 responses with 19 of sufficient quality for analysis. Responses to the EBS consultation were received from a range of organisations from both the public and private sectors.
The majority of respondents felt that the data met their needs and were content with the Survey's current release schedule, design and presentation. A number of suggestions for improvement were offered which related to the frequency of publication; coverage of the survey; and seasonal adjustment of the statistics.
A summary of the main findings from the consultations can be found in the 'Analysis of Responses' section. BIS are continuing to review the longer term future of the Survey and the responses to the consultation will inform this review. BIS' immediate response to the consultation is:
1. The release schedule of the Survey will remain unchanged, with monthly and quarterly statistics published. However, commentary on the monthly release will be reduced, whilst commentary accompanying the quarterly statistics will remain unchanged.
2. BIS will review the publication schedule to determine whether it is feasible to bring forward the publication of Quarterly statistics in order to make statistics more timely.1 and User Guide2 to improve the information provided about the Survey. These publications provide a range of information on the methods, questions and use of the statistics and answer many of the questions asked by respondents.
3. The majority of respondents requested seasonal adjustment of the statistics. BIS is unable to seasonally adjust the statistics due to the short time series, but will look to review this once sufficient data becomes available, dependant on the conclusions from the review of the Survey.
4. Some respondents to the consultation indicated that they would like the geographical coverage of the survey to be more granular. After careful consideration, BIS has decided not to extend the geographical coverage of the survey.
5. BIS has improved the Technical Guide
Show Original Message